Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Hoard of Haikus Hoping for Heartless!

Heartless Wheels


We had a ton of great entries into our Roller Derby Haiku Contest and I would like to thank everyone for the inspiring, funny, and touching entries.  Because there were so many awesome entries, I would like your help in picking the winner out of these finalists...

Karen Corcoran
Pulses are pretty,
But I beat all the jammers
with ugly Street Hogs

Laura Wilcoxon
Round and round we go.
Hips, butts... elbows, forearms, NO!
Skate fast, hit harder.

Kayla Cline
Excitement and fear
Skating faster, skating hard
Fall fast, carry on

I'm heading down to Monterey, California on Sunday for a week (hope to hang out with some of the Monterey Bay Derby Dames!) so you have until I get back on June 15th to vote at the 2N1 Skate Shoppe FaceBook page (look for the poll question).  While you're there, make sure you have "liked" the page because once it reaches 1,000 likes, 2N1 will give away a Roller Derby goodie bag to one lucky fan so share with your friends!

During my trip, I plan to write more articles so if there is a specific topic or product you would like me to write about please either post something in the comments.  In the meantime, I would like to give a shout out to longboarding. 

Shocker's First Time
This past Sunday was my birthday and my partner got me a sweet longboard.  I had never longboarded before but have wanted to for a while.  I couldn't believe how much I was sweating after just a few minutes!  Longboarding requires a lot of balance, core strength, and use of your center of gravity...sound familiar?  It only took me a few minutes to get used to riding sideways before I was ready to tackle some hills and I attribute that to the skills I learned through Roller Derby. 

Longboards are basically over sized skateboards with large, soft wheels.  They are made to cruise over cracks and pebbles with ease, and can be used to go really fast downhill.  Longboards have gained popularity in rural areas because it is a lot easier to get around on them than skateboards, which have small, hard wheels that tend to make going over rough road quite uncomfortable.

If you are looking for a new cross-training exercise, consider getting a longboard.  Not only is it a fun way to get around town while burning a few calories, but longboarding chicks are sexy...almost as sexy as Roller Girls!


Until we skate again,
Shocker

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely voting for myself, because I could use some outdoor wheels! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, skaters understand :D Good luck!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. If you asked a question, I will do my best to post an answer within a couple days. If you need an answer quicker than that, feel free to e-mail me at ShockerKhan2N1@gmail.com.

Until we skate again!
Shocker